Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr 45 mins
- 500g black urad dal (black lentils) washed and soaked overnight
- 1¼ - 1½ litres of water to boil the lentils
- 2 tsp fresh root ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp green chilli chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 4 tbsp Patak's Rogan Josh Paste
- 75g tomato purée
- 50g butter
- 75ml single cream
- ½ tsp black pepper
- salt, to taste
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Drain the lentils and add to a pan with approximately 1 litre of boiling water. As the lentils cook remove the white foam that rises to the surface. Add the ginger and green chilli and leave on a medium heat for about one hour, allowing the lentils to cook through. Stir occasionally and top up with water as necessary.
- In a separate pan heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. Fry for 1 minute before adding the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the Patak's Rogan Josh Paste and cook for 2 minutes before adding the tomato purée with a little water. Leave to cook for 10 minutes and allow to thicken.
- Meanwhile keep stirring the black lentils and mashing them with the back of the spoon. Once the lentils are cooked through and almost mashed completely, add the tomato mixture, butter and cream. Heat for 30 minutes then add the black pepper. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Add the lemon juice and sprinkle in the chopped fresh coriander.